Murphy Real Estate Building - 1940
Between 1912 and 1955 the Murphy Real Estate Company over saw the transformation of Oswego from a depressed iron company town to an affluent lakeside retreat. In 1940, the company office was moved from Tenth and A to this building.
The building continued to serve as a real estate office even after changing ownership. In 1976 it was sold to Helen R. Millette and Associates, realtors; and in 1980, to William and Elizabeth Headlee, real estate developers. The Headlees added two dormers to the second floor for their offices and remodeled the first floor to accommodate the Chamber of Commerce office and other businesses.
The Headlees left a valuable legacy in Lake Oswego. In 2001 they were jointly awarded the Chamber of Commerce's Bob Bigelow Lifetime Achievement Award. One of their contributions to the community was the campaign to purchase and restore the original Murphy Real Estate Building at Tenth and A, converting it to the Oswego Heritage House - center for the Oswego Heritage Council.
Location. 45° 24.973′ N, 122° 39.809′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on North State Street 0.1 miles south of A Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 North State Street, Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lakewood School - 1928 (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Rogers House - 1929 (approx. ¼ mile away); Iron Company Worker's Cottage (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Town (approx. ¼ mile away); Green Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salamander (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oswego Landing (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First People (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.