Christ Church Cathedral
In 1844 a wooden building on this site served as a church. In 1846 it was supplanted by a brick structure. In 1859 a second brick church was begun, then enlarged in 1876. Present building was erected in 1893, its altar area rebuilt after a fire in 1938. The original cornerstone may be seen inside the church.
Founded under the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, missionary bishop, and often visited by his successor, the Rt. Rev. George Washington Freeman, the parish was guided and nurtured by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of the Diocese of Texas, and by the Rt. Rev. George Herbert Kinsolving, second bishop. It became in 1949 the Cathedral of the Diocese under the Rt. Rev. Clinton S. Quin, third bishop.
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10631.)
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Organization of Lady Washington Chapter, NSDAR (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Capitol of the Republic of Texas (about 600 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away); Houston Bar Association (about 700 feet away); Site of Home of President Sam Houston (about 800 feet away); Thomas William House, Jr. (about 800 feet away); Site of General Sam Houston House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harris County 1910 Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 3. submitted on April 18, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.