Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
The Rev. John Henry Yates (1828-1897), elected Antioch's first full-time pastor in 1868, led efforts to improve the education of Houston's African Americans and helped establish the Houston Baptist Academy in 1885.
This sanctuary, built in 1875-79, began as a one-story structure designed by church member Richard Allen. It was enlarged in the 1890s and underwent major alterations in the 1930s. The nationally recognized Gothic Revival masonry building features stained glass windows containing portraits of prominent church figures, steep cross gables, pointed arch windows and doors, and a distinctive neon "Jesus Saves" sign.
Once the center of a cohesive African American community, Antioch served as the mother church for many area African American Baptist congregations. The church continues to provide leadership in religious, civic, and educational activities as Houston's oldest and preeminent African American Baptist congregation.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
Location. 29° 45.384′ N, 95° 22.318′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Clay Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Clay Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nichols-Rice-Cherry House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Hodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Origins of Freedman's Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sons of the Republic of Texas (approx. ¼ mile away); Ancient Order of Pilgrims (approx. ¼ mile away); Sam Houston Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Julia Ideson Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Houston Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.