Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County

 
 
Seven Courthouses of Liberty County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 22, 2018
1. Seven Courthouses of Liberty County Marker
Inscription. The town of Liberty served as the seat of government for the municipality of Liberty, one of 23 territories in Texas established by Mexico in the 1830s. The first courthouse was erected here in 1831 and was made of hewn logs. Municipalities were converted into counties in 1836 when Texas won independence from Mexico; Liberty became the county seat of Liberty County.

Constructed in 1840, the second courthouse was a one-story frame house, with split cypress boards. A third courthouse, a two-story frame structure, was built on this Square in the mid-1840s and measured 32 feet by 40 feet. The first floor served as the courtroom.

Liberty County's fourth courthouse, completed by 1857, was fabricated of brick and financed primarily from the sale of land owned by the town of Liberty. Fire destroyed that courthouse in 1872. the fifth courthouse, also constructed of brick, was completed in 1877 but deteriorated rapidly and after only 18 years was condemned and removed from the Square.

Members of Liberty's Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the sixth courthouse in 1895. The three-story structure was a popular local gathering place. The seventh courthouse, built of Texas Cordova cream limestone was completed in 1931 and enlarged in 1957.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical
Liberty County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 22, 2018
2. Liberty County Courthouse
Commission. (Marker Number 9686.)
 
Location. 30° 3.54′ N, 94° 47.784′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Sam Houston Street west of Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1923 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (a few steps from this marker); Captain William M. Logan (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Houston's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Houston in Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Tarver Abstract Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement