Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hardin and his wife Cynthia O'Brien built a home on this site in 1839. The homesite, later known as Seven Pines, remained in the Hardin family for four generations. The family moved to a farm north of Liberty about 1845, but moved back and built a new house here in 1856. While Franklin Hardin was serving in the seventh Texas Legislature, Hardin County was created in 1858 and named in honor of his family.
Following the deaths of Franklin and Cynthia Hardin, ownership of the homesite passed to their descendants. Geraldine Davis Humphreys inherited the property in 1914. One year later the 1856 home was destroyed by fire. Geraldine Humphreys (d. 1961) bequeathed Seven Pines to the Humphreys Foundation, which donated it to the city of Liberty in 1969. The Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural Center was built in 1969-70.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9687.)
Location. 30° 3.517′ N, 94° 47.938′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Sam Houston Street west of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1710 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plaza Iglesia Parroquial (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Constitucional (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ott Hotel (about 600 feet away); James B. Woods (about 600 feet away); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (about 800 feet away); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain William M. Logan (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?