Evansville in Vanderburgh County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Holy Trinity Parish Sesquicentennial
Holy Trinity Parish was established in 1849 to serve a German-American population. One hundred years later in 1949 its status was changed from a German “national” church to a territorial parish. It is the oldest continuously-worshipping Catholic community in Evansville. In 1853 the Sisters of Providence began teaching grade school here. The parish hosted the first Catholic high school in Evansville, from 1919 to 1925, which became Memorial High School, known as the Memorial Annex. From 1957 to 1976 the Diocesan Chancery Offices were here. From 1964 to 1999 it was the temporary cathedral (Pro-Cathedral) and was the site of the bishop’s chair (cathedra) for the first four bishops of the Diocese of Evansville: Most Rev. Henry J. Grimmelsman, Most Rev. Paul F. Leibold, Most Rev. Francis R. Shea, and Most Rev. Gerald A. Gettelfinger. The present community is grateful to God for 150 years of blessings.
Location. 37° 58.396′ N, 87° 34.429′ W. Marker is in Evansville, Indiana, in Vanderburgh County. Marker is on Northwest 3rd Street south of Court Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at eye-level,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheriff's Residence and Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vanderburgh County World War II Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); Vanderburgh County World War I Honor Roll (about 400 feet away); The Short Lived Canal (about 400 feet away); Albion Fellows Bacon (about 500 feet away); Wabash and Erie Canal (about 700 feet away); McCurdy - Sears Building (about 800 feet away); Ohio River Levee (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Evansville.
Also see . . . Holy Trinity Catholic Church.
Holy Trinity was not regarded as a separate congregation until 1851 and was used exclusively by the German-speaking Catholics. Before that the Catholics of all different languages attended the Assumption Church. The first resident pastor was Rev. Francis X. Kutassy who came to Evansville in 1848. He organized the Holy Trinity parish and built the church. In 1849 the corner stone was laid by Bishop de St. Palais but on account of the ravages of the cholera, the work was not completed until 1851. (Submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.