San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Felipe United Methodist Church
The Methodist group in San Felipe de Austin used this building for evening worship though the building was secularly owned by the town. By 1847, a new town hall was constructed, leaving this building to serve as a church and school only. In this same year, the town also added the second floor to the building.
A new masonic lodge formed in San Felipe in 1859 and met on the newly built second floor. Today the ceiling still exhibits a painting of a blue sky with five-pointed stars and on the eastern wall an ‘eye of god’ painting. In 1880, a new school building was constructed for the town, allowing the first floor of this building to be used solely as a church.
In 1883, a steeple was added and a bell was donated to the church. This building became the Methodists’ official church and the congregation still meets here today. Up until the 1940s, when the building got electricity, the church used oil lamps hung on the walls of the sanctuary
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11706.)
Location. 29° 48.256′ N, 96° 5.877′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Vicaro Guerrero south of 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Vicaro Guerrero, San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Roads To San Felipe (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Fuller Austin (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Bricker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Felipe de Austin Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); San Felipe de Austin (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.