Liberty County Historic Landmark
In 1896 the new two story Joseph Riviere building was built using brick from the old courthouse and housed professional offices, merchants and a telephone company. A devastating fire in 1909 destroyed the entire block just to the south including Steusoff Pharmacy which relocated to the Riviere building in 1913 and operated there until 1931 when the building was razed to construct the First Liberty National Bank. In 1960 the bank sold the property to Liberty County Savings and Loan and in 1992 the long established Tarver Abstract Company became the owner of this significant business site.
Current Tarver Abstract Company owner, Charles McGuire is the great grandson of Henry Steusoff.
Erected by Liberty County Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 3.536′ N, 94° 47.746′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Main Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.