Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Spacious Victorian Luxury
The home on the left (East) belonged to John L. Corbett, a civil engineer who drafted the original plat of Virginia City in 1868. Records indicate that Corbett owned the home only briefly in 1875-76. The Corbett side of the dwelling is constructed of log while the Daems side on right (West) is built with sawn lumber. Dr. Daems may have rented this side as an office for his medical practice; however, it is unlikely that the two buildings ever functioned together.
The Corbett residence, while small by today's standards, represents spacious and luxurious housing typical of Virginia City's wealthiest families in the 1860s and 70s. Front porches played a cultural role in the Victorian era by meeting specific female needs as a place where women gathered and shared information. Both homes exhibit spacious front porches, further suggesting that the porch held an important role in the social life of the occupants.
In 1946, Nelson McClurg sold the property to Charlie Bovey who used the building as a paint shop and storage facility. The careful restoration of the home by the Montana Heritage Commission's Historic Preservation Team began in 2006. In May of 2007, graduate students from Washington State University's Public History program stayed in the home as the first guests and are responsible for some of this interpretive
Erected by Montana Heritage Commission.
Location. 45° 17.562′ N, 111° 56.693′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on West Idaho Street east of Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is a composite plaque, mounted on a waist-high post, directly in front of the Corbett House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 West Idaho Street, Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belgium, Paris, New York, St. Louis, Virginia City (here, next to this marker); Allen and Millard Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Creighton Stone Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barlett’s Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away); The Remarkable Sarah Bickford (about 300 feet away); Hangman’s Building (about 400 feet away); Elling Bank (about 400 feet away); F.R. Merk Block (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. John L. Corbett & Dr. Levinus Daems Homes
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.