Montgomery County Courthouses
The home of Isaac Conroe served as a temporary courthouse until the first courthouse was constructed on this site in 1891. Red bricks, which were manufactured in Conroe, were used in the new courthouse and in the jail across the street. Many repairs and changes were made to the building, and in 1909 the exterior was plastered. In 1934, the county commissioners court voted to build a new, larger courthouse with a jail on the 4th and 5th floors. The present art deco-style courthouse was completed in 1936 during the economic prosperity
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17660.)
Location. 30° 18.702′ N, 95° 27.478′ W. Marker is in Conroe, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on North Thompson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Main Street, Conroe TX 77301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conroe Fire of 1911 (within shouting distance of this marker); Conroe (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conroe Telephone Exchange (about 400 feet away); The Isaac Conroe Property (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett (approx. 12½ miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.