Violet in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church
In Nov. 1909, the Rev. J. Goebels called a meeting to organize St. Anthony's parish for the recently settled German Catholic farm families in the community of Land Siding, later known as Violet. Louis Petrus donated five acres for a church site, and five additional acres were purchased. The parishioners began construction of this building in 1910, with John W. Hoelscher (1866-1941), one of the earliest settlers here, as foreman of the project. Originally measuring 26 ft. by 40 ft., the frame structure served as a schoolhouse and church.
The congregation enlarged and extensively remodeled the building in 1919. Three towers were added at that time. A bell, purchased earlier from Spohn Sanitarium in Corpus Christi, was installed in one. The rectory, which served as a schoolhouse and living quarters for visiting priests, was attached to the church building in 1920. Members then fenced and landscaped the area.
In 1952 the parish built a larger church, and this structure was moved to serve the parish mission of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in nearby Clarkwood community. In 1975, after that congregation erected a new church facility, the old St. Anthony's building was relocated 200 feet east of its original site and restored as a museum by the Violet Historical Society.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6332.)
Location. 27° 46.959′ N, 97° 35.673′ W. Marker is in Violet, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on County Highway 61 south of State Highway 44, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located near the east end of the Saint Anthony's Catholic Church parking lot, in front of the Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3918 Co Rd 61, Robstown TX 78380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sie Sind Willkommen (here, next to this marker); Violet, Texas (here, next to this marker); Robstown Record (approx. 4.2 miles away); George H. Paul Building Site (approx. 4.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 11.6 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 11.6 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 11.6 miles away); Captain Enrique Villarreal and Rincón del Oso Land Grant (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Violet.
Regarding Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1978), National Register of Historic Places (1979)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.