Concord Police Station
This brick building, with its rock-faced granite trim, was Concord's police station from 1890 until 1975. Noted local architect Edward Dow, with Albert Bodwell, designed the structure. Its arched openings show the influence of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Note the distinctive granite voussoirs that mark the two original entrances from Warren Street. Local granite also appears in the sunburst and finials atop the building.
The garage bays on the west were added for police vehicles in 1915. Now opened up, they lead into Bicentennial Square. The solid steel door on which this plaque is mounted once separated the officers' guard room from the jail cells.
Concord police made national news, when they deftly captured Iowa prison escapees, Edgar Cook and George Stubblefield, on March 2, 1945. Dubbed the "Toothbrush Twins," the men were notorious for fashioning keys from toothbrush handles, then picking locks to escape from jail or steal get-away cars.
The Police Station is part of the Downtown Concord National Register Historic District.
Location. 43° 12.296′ N, 71° 32.198′ W. Marker is in Concord, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is on Warren Street east of State Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. An Architectural Treasure Trove (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathaniel & Armenia White (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Gift from Mary Baker G. Eddy (about 500 feet away); Isaac A. Hill (about 700 feet away); Site of Home of Isaac Hill (about 700 feet away); Concord's Architectural Heritage (about 700 feet away); Concord Clock (about 700 feet away); Franklin Pierce (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Also see . . . Downtown Concord National Register Historic District Registration Form. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.