Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomington in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Gideon and Agnes Pond House

 
 
Gideon and Agnes Pond House marker image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, May 7, 2016
1. Gideon and Agnes Pond House marker
Inscription. Welcome to the 19th century dwelling of Gideon and Agnes Hopkins Pond, missionaries to the Dakota Indians, farmers, and ministers to the community of Bloomington, Minnesota, during the mid- to late-1800s.

Following a move from the Lake Calhoun area in 1843, Gideon Pond and Eli Pettijohn built a two-story log mission house near this site. Nine years later in 1852, Pond built a wood frame "preemption" house in order to lay claim to the ownership of the land. In 1856 Pond and some hired help constructed the Federal Style brick house you see before you. Attached to the wooden preemption house, it was constructed from a supply of approximately 60,000 bricks made of clay dug out of the river bottoms. Shortly thereafter, the log mission house was dismantled and the timbers were used to construct a split-level barn.

In 1910 the preemption house was dismantled and a two-story addition was constructed in its place. For over 140 years, the Pond House was home to four generations of Pond descendants. The City of Bloomington purchased the property in 1975 and undertook stabilization work in the 1980s. In 1995 a full restoration of the brick house was done during which the two-story addition was replaced by a replica of the original preemption house.

This house has been maintained as a museum by the City of Bloomington
Markers on the north side of the Pond House image. Click for full size.
By McGhiever, May 7, 2016
2. Markers on the north side of the Pond House
since the completion of the restoration work in 1995. The Gideon and Agnes Pond House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation.
 
Location. 44° 48.806′ N, 93° 16.277′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker can be reached from East 104th Street. Touch for map. In Pond-Dakota Mission Park on the north side of the Pond House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 104th St E, Minneapolis MN 55420, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1856 Federal Style Gideon H. Pond House (here, next to this marker); Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond (a few steps from this marker); Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Grove Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Pond Family Heritage Timeline (within shouting distance of this marker); Missionaries to the Dakota (within shouting distance of this marker); Dakota Missions on the Frontier (within shouting distance of this marker); Dakota Life (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement