Staunton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1962 by Virginia State Library. (Marker Number QC-1.)
Location. 38° 8.955′ N, 79° 4.517′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker is on West Beverly Street (Virginia Route 254) east of Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Roanoke VA 24001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Wesleyan Female Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Alexander Humphreys (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hon. Archibald Stuart (within shouting distance of this marker); Ast Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stuart Hall (about 600 feet away); Augusta National Bank Building T. J. Collins & Son (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Dr. Alexander Humphreys (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staunton.
Also see . . . Trinity Church History. “Trinity Church has a varied collection of stained glass windows, installed beginning in the mid-nineteenth century and up until the 1970s. Thirteen of the windows are made of early 20th century opalescent glass; twelve by the Tiffany Studios.”
“Trinity Church has been home to five pipe organs. Little is known about the first organ, but the second, a mechanical action instrument built by Pomplitz & Company in 1881, is noteworthy because it is still in use today, a century after it was sold to the Village Congregational Church in Cummington, Massachusetts. These first two organs were installed in the gallery. The third organ, built by Emmons Howard in 1903, was placed on both sides of the chancel in the present-day chapels. It was electrified in 1922 and served the church until 1957. At that time, the Austin Organ Company was commissioned to build a large three-manual electro-pneumatic organ of fifty-four ranks, and both the new organ and the choir were located back in the gallery.” (Submitted on September 26, 2008.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.