Kingsville in Kleberg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Kingsville Railroad Depot
Styled by standard plans of the builder, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railroad Company; erected in 1904 of locally made adobe brick, this structure is one of oldest in Kingsville. It has seen interesting events involving traffic during border troubles and World Wars I and II. The Missouri Pacific system, in control of this road since 1925, phased out passenger traffic in 1966, but maintains a dispatcher's office in the building.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2955.)
Location. 27° 31.014′ N, 97° 52.102′ W. Marker is in Kingsville, Texas, in Kleberg County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Kleberg Avenue and PFC Daniel Alarcon Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted on the south wall of the depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 E Kleberg Ave, Kingsville TX 78363, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Uriah Lott (a few steps from this marker); Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. Taylor Camp Site, 1846 (approx. 2 miles away); Bishop (approx. 6.3 miles away); U.S. Army March to Rio Grande, 1846 (approx. 11.6 miles away); 1766 Exploration of Diego Ortiz Parilla (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Regarding The Kingsville Railroad Depot. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1974)
Also see . . .
1. 1904 Train Depot Museum. The Depot was closed at a time when rail travel no longer held the sparkle and excitement it had enjoyed for so many years, and goods and people were now moved by trucks and automobiles. To celebrate Kingsville’s 100th Birthday, the structure was restored and the museum opened its doors on July 4th, 2004 – 100 years to the date that the city was Chartered. Today, photographs are exhibited in chronological order so visitors can enjoy viewing the history of Kingsville and the importance of the train coming through the community, as well as artifact that give insights into life on the rail. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway Company. was chartered on June 6, 1903, to run from Sinton to the Rio (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Missouri Pacific Railroad Company. On January 1, 1925, it acquired the New Orleans, Texas and Mexico Railway Company, which controlled several railroads running between Brownsville and New Orleans known collectively as the Gulf Coast Lines. In Texas the carriers were the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway Company, the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway Company, the San Benito and Rio Grande Valley Railway Company, and the Orange and Northwestern Railroad Company. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Kingsville History. While Kingsville, Texas, was officially established in 1904, when the railroad came through town, the history of this region goes back long before that time. The King Ranch, still a working cattle ranch, was founded in 1853, when Captain Richard King purchased land that was once part of the Rincon de Santa Gertrudis Mexican Land Grant. (Submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.