Staunton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Wesleyan Female Institute
Location. 38° 8.963′ N, 79° 4.5′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker is on West Beverly Street (Virginia Route 254) east of Church Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staunton VA 24401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Alexander Humphreys (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hon. Archibald Stuart (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ast Building (about 400 feet away); Augusta National Bank Building (about 600 feet away); Stuart Hall (about 600 feet away); T. J. Collins & Son (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Dr. Alexander Humphreys (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staunton.
1. Wesleyan Female Institute during the Civil War
During the Federal occupation of Staunton in June 1864, the mayor of Staunton (N.K. Trout) and other members of the town council, with Alexander H.H. Stuart as well as the superintendent of the "lunatic asylum," the principal
— Submitted March 17, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,213 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.