New Buffalo in Perry County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The John Schaﬀer Tavern and Inn
Also known by the names The Red House, The Evergreen Hotel and The Lodge House
—New Buﬀalo, Pennsylvania —
According to Anna Liddick Dorman (1880-1961), the third floor provided lodging space for both sexes, separated only by a curtain in one large open room. As many as forty persons slept on the floor on straw "tick" mattresses.
Schaffer purchased his lot from developer Jacob Baughman who in 1814 laid out eighty-one lots in what became New Buffalo. The Schaffer House is one example of the dynamic economic development that occurred along the Susquehanna River as a result of the canal. Two boat yards and two other lodging facilities, constructed in the Canal era, folded with the final closing of the Canal by 1899.
From its beginning, the structure has served multi-purposes, often as a private residence, including the Henry and Lydia Thatcher family in the 1840s. One son, Henry C. Thatcher (1842-1886) served as the first Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court. His brothers, John (1836-1913) and Mahlon (1839-1916), opened banks throughout Colorado and the West, and became the wealthiest persons in the state.
Over time the left
The road frontage, Mill Street, part of the Susquehanna Trail, was the main north/south highway until 1951 when Route 11/15 was rerouted and constructed on top of the long closed Canal.
Erected by Perry County Heritage Trail.
Location. 40° 27.254′ N, 76° 58.208′ W. Marker is in New Buffalo, Pennsylvania, in Perry County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling west on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Buffalo PA 17069, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Halifax (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.9 miles away); Clark's Ferry Bridge Company Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lightning Guider Sleds (approx. 4.8 miles away); Clark's Ferry Tavern (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.