San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Rincon/Douglass School
The first free public school for blacks in San Antonio was built on this site in the late 1860s. Operated by the local office of the Freedman's Bureau, the school was a two-story stone structure. Called Rincon School because of its location on Rincon (now St. Mary's) Street. The school provided instruction to students of all ages.
Operation of the school was assumed by the city of San Antonio in 1871, and it was made part of the city's school district. The name was changed to Riverside School in 1890, and to Frederick Douglass School in 1904. Ten years later the school was relocated to a two-story brick building at what is now 318 Martin Luther King Drive.
An important part of the city's history, Rincon/Douglass School has been integral to the education of a large portion of San Antonio's population.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4269.)
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 29° 25.796′ N, 98° 29.486′ W. Marker was in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker was at the intersection of North St Mary's Street and Convent Street, on the right when traveling south on North St Mary's Street. Touch for map. Northwest corner. Marker was in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Ursuline Academy/Augusta Street Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Site of Rincon/Douglass School (about 300 feet away); Navarro Street Bridge (about 600 feet away); The San Antonio River (about 600 feet away); Travis Street Crossing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Houston Street (approx. ¼ mile away); The Hugman Dam (approx. ¼ mile away); Mayor Maury Maverick Mural (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one also named Site of Rincon/Douglass School (see nearby markers).
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,363 times since then. Last updated on June 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photo 1. submitted on September 11, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.