Knud Zimsen, an engineer and mayor of ReykjavÝk, built the house as a residence in 1905 and named it Gimli. It was built, among other things, of stone produced at the "Factory Mj÷lni" and has the first roof in Iceland made of reinforced concrete. Zimsen moved from the house in 1911, but for most of the century the house was used by various government agencies. The house was renovated by the Ministry of Conservation of Antiquities in 1986.
Erected by Minjavernd.
Location. 64° 8.802′ N, 21° 56.168′ W. Marker is in Reykjavik, Capital Region H÷fuborgarsvŠi. Marker can be reached from LŠkjargata just south of BankastrŠti. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Reykjavik, Capital Region H÷fuborgarsvŠi 101, Iceland.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. BakarÝi / Bakery (a few steps from this marker); Bernh÷ftstorfan / Bernh÷ft's Sward (within shouting distance of this marker); LandlŠknih˙si (within
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.