Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mason National Bank
Throughout the 1890s, private banking institutions sporadically served Mason residents. In December 1903, several pioneer settlers met to form a new bank. It received its authorization in January 1904 as the German American National Bank of Mason. John Lemburg, Sr. served as the first president, J.W. White as vice-president and F.W. Lemburg as cashier. During the bank's first 100 years, six other men would serve as president, including J.W. White, who served two different terms.
Anti-German sentiment during the First World War caused the bank board to change the bank's name in 1918 to Mason National Bank. The institution led the community in purchasing Liberty Bonds during the war. In 1932, amid the Great Depression, the First State Bank of Mason merged into the Mason National Bank. J.D. Eckert, formerly of First State Bank, became president. That same year, the bank received certification by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. In 1934, Eckert retired, and White resumed the position of president until his death in 1939. D.F. Lehmberg followed him in the office, remaining until his death in 1953. Following Lehmberg's death, Wilburn "Bill" Lemburg (d. 1972), grandson of John Lemburg, Sr., became the bank's president. Under his leadership, the bank moved in 1968 from the north side of the town square to the present
Throughout its history, the bank's leaders have been active in local organizations. Mason National Bank is well-known and respected for its generous support of community programs.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13019.)
Location. 30° 44.86′ N, 99° 13.888′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is on Westmoreland Street west of San Antonio Street (U.S. 87), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on a pole and located in front of the subject bank, near the east end of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Westmoreland Street, Mason TX 76856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Mason (approx. half a mile away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mason County Old Fort Mason (approx. 1½ miles away); Todd Mountain (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Also see . . . Mason Bank Website.
Established in 1904, we at Mason Bank are working on our Second Century of Service! Our friendly and experienced staff will be happy to serve all your financial needs. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.