Big Lake in Reagan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John H. Reagan
This County Named in 1903 For
—(First Chairman of Railroad Commission of Texas) —
In his term, 1891-1903, railway transportation of petroleum became important in Texas, the Commission was given jurisdiction in 1917 over pipelines. This led to formation of the oil and gas division.
The Legislature made the Commission responsible in 1919 for oil and gas conservation. Probation began in 1920s. Complete regulation came in the 1930s with 1,700,000-barrel-a-day production in East Texas.
Commission policies were acclaimed when in World War II Texas was able to supply the allies with great stores of oil necessary for victory.
The Commission's goal is to prevent waste and protect oil and gas reserves by orderly regulation of exploration, production and transportation.
Such men as chairman Reagan have set high ethical standards that have continued in the Commission, causing it to merit the confidence of the people and of the petroleum industry.
(See other side for names of all commission members)
Inscribed on back of marker: Members of the Railroad Commission of Texas
* John H. Reagan 1891-1903
Wm. P. McLean 1891-1894
* L. J. Storey 1894-1909
N. A. Steadman 1895-1897
*Allison Mayfield 1897-1923
O. B. Colquitt 1903-1911
Wm. D. Williams 1909-1916
John L. Wortham 1911-1913
Earle B. Mayfield 1913-1923
Charles H. Hurdleston 1916-1918
* Clarence E. Gilmore 1919-1929
N. A. Nabors 1923-1925
W. M. W. Splawn 1923-1924
* C. V. Terrell 1924-1939
* Lon A. Smith 1925-1941
* Pat M. Neff 1929-1932
* Ernest O. Thompson 1932-1965
Jerry Sadler 1939-1942
* Olin Culberson 1941-1961
* Beauford Jester 1942-1947
* Wm. J. Murray Jr. 1947-1963
* Ben Ramsey 1961-
Jim C. Langdon 1963-
Byron Tunnell 1965-
Incise in base: Commemorative series on Texas Railroad Commission. Erected in Cooperation with Abell-Hangar Foundation, 1966.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2785.)
Location. 31° 11.486′ N, 101° 27.696′ W. Marker is in Big Lake, Texas, in Reagan County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 67 and North Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 67. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Big Lake Chamber of Commerce. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Main Avenue, Big Lake TX 76932, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Martin-Castillo Expedition (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named John H. Reagan (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reagan County (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ).
Categories. • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.