Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Leland Stanford House
Erected 1986 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation with the cooperation and support of The Stanford Alumni Club of Sacramento. August 1, 1986. (Marker Number 614.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 34.584′ N, 121° 29.875′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is located in the front gardens of the Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 "N" Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Stately Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Heilbron House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the First Jewish Synagogue Owned by a Congregation on the Pacific Coast (about 700 feet away); The California Peace Officers Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jesse M. Unruh State Office Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); California Mexican-American War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); California’s Historic Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away); California State Capitol Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding Leland Stanford House. The Leland Stanford Mansion is a National Historic Landmark and a California Registered Historical Landmark (No.614)
Also see . . .
1. California State Parks: The Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The Leland Stanford Mansion. (Submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. National Historic Landmark - Statement of Significance (as of designation-May 27, 1987)
Built in 1857, this Renaissance Revival, two story, square house was the residence of the two Civil War Governors of California. Pro-Union Leland Stanford (1824-1893) was the first Republican to be elected Governor of the State; his successor, Frederick F. Low (1828-1894), was elected under the banner of the Union Party, a coalition of Republicans and Northern Democrats. Their leadership from 1862 to 1870 insured the State remained loyal to the Union. Stanford also served as President of the Central Pacific Railroad, which constructed the western portion of the transcontinental rail system.
The Leland and Jane Stanford House is the only surviving structure associated with Leland Stanford's career. The house is owned by California State Parks but has not been used or occupied for several years. Winter storms in 1997-98 caused damage and added to the overall deterioration. Currently State Parks is working with a private non-profit organization to develop plans for adaptive reuse of the mansion as a museum, meeting and reception site. The plans are being developed in conjunction with representatives from the preservation community to ensure the integrity of the building.
Since this Statement of Significance was written, the Mansion
— Submitted September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • 20th Century • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Government • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Leland Stanford House.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,424 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 9. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 10, 11. submitted on March 14, 2009.