Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
This building, opened in 1921, under the leadership of W.H. Jones, was one of the first modern brick schools in Miss. for blacks. Its alumni have served the state and nation with distinction.
Erected 1988 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 20.078′ N, 89° 17.451′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on East Sixth Street west of Mobile Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roots of Rock and Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); East 6th Street USO Club (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Pittman Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Hattiesburg High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); McLeod House (approx. half a mile away); Forrest County Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); William Harris Hardy (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2018.