Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opole in Opole Powiat, Poland
 

Holy Cross Cathedral

Katedra pw. Podwyższenia Krzyża Świętego / Dom zum Hl. Kreuz

 
 
Holy Cross Cathedral Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, May 23, 2018
1. Holy Cross Cathedral Marker
Inscription.
Kościół gotycki. Według przekazu pierwszy kościół zbudowano za czasów Bolesława Chrobrego. W 1024 r. otrzymał relikwie Krzyża Świętego od św. Emeryka, królewicza węgierskiego. W 1232 r. podniesiony zostaf do rangi kolegiaty. Od 1945 r. - prokatedra, od 1972 r. katedra. Ostatnia przebudowa w latach 1897 - 1902. We wnętrzu m.in. gotycka chrzcielnica z herbem opolskich Piastów i herbem Opola oraz słynący łaskami obraz Matki Boskiej Opolskiej - patronki diecezji i Opola.

-

Eine gotische Kirche. Die erste Kirche ist der Uberlieferung nach zu Lebzeiten von Boleslaus dem Tapferen erbaut worden. Im Jahr 1024 erhielt die Kirche die Reliquien des Heiligen Kreuzes vom Heiligen Emmerich, dem ungarischen Prinzen. 1232 wurde die Kirche in den Rang einer Stiftskirche erhoben. Von 1945 bis 1972 war sie eine Prokathedrale, seitdem gilt sie als Dom. Der letze Umbau hat in den Jahren 1897 -1902 stattgefunden. Im Innenraum befinden sich u.a. ein gotisches Taufbecken mit dem Wappen der Oppelner Piasten und dem Oppelner Stadtwappen und ein berühmtes Bild der Oppelner Gottesmutter, der Patronin der Diözese und der Stadt Opole.

-

According to the records, the first church on this site was constructed during the reign of the

Holy Cross Cathedral Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, May 23, 2018
2. Holy Cross Cathedral Marker - Wide View
The marker is located to the right of the front entrance.
King Boleslaw Chrobry. In 1024, the church was endowed with the relics of the Holy Cross by St. Emerick - son of the Hungarian king. In 1232, it became a collegiate church, in 1945 a procathedral and in 1972 a cathedral. The most recent reconstruction took place between 1897 - 1902. Of particular interest inside are a gothic font with the coat of arms of the Opole Piast Dynasty and the coat of arms of Opole, a miraculous picture of the Holy Mother of Opole - a patron of the diocese and of Opole.
 
Location. 50° 40.208′ N, 17° 55.195′ E. Marker is in Opole, Opole, in Opole Powiat. Marker can be reached from the intersection of pl. Katedralny and Książąt Opolskich. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: pl. Katedralny 2, Opole 45-007, Poland.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pope Pius XI (within shouting distance of this marker); Mury Obronne Miasta Opola / Defensive Walls of the City of Opole (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Harcówka Związek Harcerstwa Polskiego / Polish Scouting Association Meeting Room (about 180 meters away); Bank Ludowy / The People's Bank (about 180 meters away); Dawny Zajazd Pocztowy / Ehemaliger Gasthof / The Old Post Inn
Holy Cross Cathedral and Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, May 23, 2018
3. Holy Cross Cathedral and Marker - Wide View
(about 180 meters away); Jerzy Grotowski (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); The Prince's Burgher House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Opole Third Reich Victims Memorial (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opole.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
General overview of Opole, showing the Holy Cross Cathredral image. Click for full size.
Postcard published by Engelbert Gold, Oppeln, circa 1910
4. General overview of Opole, showing the Holy Cross Cathredral
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement