Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tumwater in Thurston County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Crosby House

 
 
Crosby House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shirley A Stirling, April 10, 2018
1. Crosby House Marker
Inscription.
Registered State Historic Place
Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation

Crosby House

Under the provisions of the State Historic Preservation Act of 1967, this property possesses particular value in commemorating or illustrating American History. Placed on the State Register July 30, 1971 by the Governor's Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.
 
Erected 1971 by Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission. (Marker Number 44.)
 
Location. 47° 1.235′ N, 122° 54.314′ W. Marker is in Tumwater, Washington, in Thurston County. Marker is at the intersection of Grant Street SW and Deschutes Way SW, on the right when traveling west on Grant Street SW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 702 Deschutes Way SW, Olympia WA 98501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lone Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); POW AND MIA Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); John Rankin Rogers (approx. 1.6 miles away); Washington Women Win the Vote

Crosby House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shirley A Stirling, April 10, 2018
2. Crosby House Marker
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Marking the End of the Oregon Trail 1844 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Masonic Lodge 1854-1971, (approx. 2 miles away); She-Nah-Nam (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Crosby House (City of Tumwater). The Crosby House dates from ca. 1860 and was built by Nathaniel Crosby III after he married Cordelia Jane Smith in August of 1860. Miss Smith was the daughter of Jacob and Priscilla Smith who lived in the Lacey area....The illustrious house changed hands numerous times of throughout the years before it was placed with a trustee, William Manier, a local attorney. Through the efforts of the Schmidt family and descendants of the Crosby family, the house was purchased and donated to the Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington, Chapter 4 in 1947....In 1978, the Daughters of the Pioneers gave the house to the City of Tumwater with provision that the Daughters would have a life estate in the property as long as Chapter 4 continued. The Daughters of the Pioneers have restored and furnished the house and indeed have fought valiantly to keep the house through the construction of Deschutes Parkway and Interstate 5. The house also features a pioneer garden. (Submitted on April 19, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Last updated on June 14, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington.   2. submitted on April 13, 2018, by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement