Dandridge in Jefferson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
J. C. Turnley's Mill Place Grindstone
Around 1820 to 1837, this large 38-inch diameter grindstone was used at John Cunningham (J.C.) Turnley's farm known as the Mill Place. J.C. Turnley was the founder of Oak Grove and built the Mill Place upstream from Hay's Ferry on the south side of the French Broad River, east of today's Swann's Bridge. A large gristmill was built at the site, and this grindstone made of sandstone was used for sharpening tools and implements. In 1837 a tragic fire burned down all the buildings at Mill Place, including Turnley's residence, the gristmill, shops, and other buildings. This grindstone was one of the few things not devoured by the fire.
Grindstone donated by Rev. Reuel B. Pritchett in 1942
Location. 36° 0.917′ N, 83° 24.937′ W. Marker is in Dandridge, Tennessee, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Tennessee Route 139) and Gay Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 West Main Street, Dandridge TN 37725, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Attack on Dandridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Dandridge (about 300 feet away); The Dike That Saved Dandridge (about 500 feet away); Dandridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fighting at Dandridge (approx. Battle of Hay's Ferry (approx. 4 miles away); a different marker also named Fighting at Dandridge (approx. 5.4 miles away); Samuel McSpadden (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dandridge.
Categories. • Disasters • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.