San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Designed by prominent San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this home was built in 1881 for Alexander Sartor, Jr. A native of Germany, Sartor came to San Antonio in the mid-nineteenth century and established a jewelry business. After he sold the house in 1909, it was used for a variety of purposes, including a medical office and a literary studio. Outstanding features of the home include its wide front porch with Italianate detailing.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4595.)
Location. 29° 24.961′ N, 98° 29.52′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on King William Street south of Turner Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 King William St, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gustav Blersch House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oge House (about 400 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (about 500 feet away); Alfred Giles House Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal (about 600 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ernst Homestead (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Alexander Sartor, Jr. House. Designed by Alfred Giles, an English-born architect, this small structure exhibits beautiful proportions and unique detailing. The walls are caliche block duplicating ashlar limestone with protruding mortar joints – often called a “conceit” construction. (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. King William Historic District. In the 1860s the area was subdivided into lots and laid out with the present streets. It was about this time in the mid-nineteenth century that a great many Germans, who had immigrated to Texas in the 1840s, began to settle in this area, and it became known as "Sauerkraut Bend" to the rest of San Antonio. The area developed into an idyllic neighborhood of large, impressive houses designed in the Greek Revival, Victorian, and Italianate (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.