Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Utica in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Lawrence Parish of Utica

 
 
St. Lawrence Parish of Utica Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 16, 2018
1. St. Lawrence Parish of Utica Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  In May 1866 the Reverend Amandus VanDenDriessche of Detroit recited Utica's first Catholic Mass. Forty Irish families at Utica Junction (present-day Roseville) formed what became a mission of Sacred Heart Parish. On August 15, 1874, Bishop C. H. Borgess dedicated St. Lawrence Parish's first church. Four years later a cemetery was consecrated one-half mile north of here. In 1904 a fire swept through Utica, destroying the church. Parishioners worshipped in homes and a rented hall until a new church was built in 1908. The present Neo-Romanesque church was designed by Detroit architect Arthur DesRosiers and erected in 1951. The broad nave seats 800 people. St. Lawrence Parish remains the oldest religious community in Utica.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1799.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 37.295′ N, 83° 2.344′ W. Marker is in Utica, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is on Utica Road
St. Lawrence Parish of Utica and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 16, 2018
2. St. Lawrence Parish of Utica and Marker
near Nichols Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44633 Utica Road, Utica MI 48317, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Utica Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Upton House (approx. 2˝ miles away); Holcombe Beach (approx. 3.9 miles away); Yates Cider Mill (approx. 4˝ miles away); Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal (approx. 4.6 miles away); Troy Corners (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Hammer (approx. 6.2 miles away); City of Rochester, Michigan (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Our Parish History. (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. St. Lawrence celebrates 150 years in the ‘big city’ of Utica. (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
St. Lawrence Parish of Utica Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 16, 2018
3. St. Lawrence Parish of Utica Plaque
1866-1966
Commemorating a century of Catholicity in Utica, Michigan — Mass was first celebrated here one hundred years ago — in May, 1966.
May the souls of everyone who inspired, protected and advanced the faith through all these years rest in peace.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement