San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Carl Wilhelm August Groos House
One of the founders of the Groos National Bank, Carl W. Goos (1830-1893) came to Texas from Germany in 1848. The Groos home, designed by Alfred Giles, was built in 1880 by John H. Campmann. Porch detailing on the Victorian residence reveals Gothic Revival influence. Occupied until 1948 by descendants of Groos and his wife Hulda (Moureau), the limestone structure was acquired in 1957 by the San Antonio area council of Girl Scouts, Inc.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2287.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 29° 24.854′ N, 98° 29.617′ W. Marker was in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker was on King William Street north of East Sheridan Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 335 King William St, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Norton-Polk-Mathis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Alfred Giles House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House King William Neighborhood (about 500 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (about 600 feet away); Old Edward Steves House (about 800 feet away); Edward Steves Homestead (about 800 feet away); Sartor House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
More about this marker. Textual portion of the marker, normally mounted below the Texas Historical Medallion, is missing. Out for maintenance or update? Vandalism?
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Carl Wilhelm August Groos House. Designed by Alfred Giles for one of the three founding bankers of the Groos National Bank, this is a superb example of Italian Villa Style. Delicate cast iron balustrades, columns and gingerbread define the porches. A belvedere crowns the roof. As with many other area houses, native limestone was used. (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. King William Historic District. During the decades after the Civil (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.