Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mason County Courthouse
Constructed in 1909, this is the third courthouse to serve the people of Mason County. Commissioners Court probably met in other locations until the first courthouse was built in 1872. It burned in 1877 and was replaced that year by a second red sandstone building. Designed by E. C. Hosford and built at a cost of $39,796, this Beaux Arts style courthouse features a center dome and clock tower, gable front porticoes with two-story Doric columns, and rusticated stonework with contrasting stone lintels.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11286.)
Location. 30° 44.921′ N, 99° 13.916′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is on Fort McKavett Street (U.S. 87) west of San Antonio Street (U.S. 87), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the north side of the Mason County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Fort McKavett St, Mason TX 76856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mason County Jail Mason National Bank (about 400 feet away); Site of Fort Mason (approx. 0.6 miles away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mason County (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Fort Mason (approx. 1.4 miles away); Todd Mountain (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Regarding Mason County Courthouse. Mason County has had three courthouses: 1875, 1878 and (this current one) 1909.
Also see . . .
1. Mason County Courthouse. (This link presents various exterior, interior and historic photographs of the courthouse.) (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Mason, Texas. The first county courthouse and a jail were built in 1869. Previously, court proceedings had been held under an old live oak tree near the town well on the northeast corner of the town square. In 1882 the jail was replaced, and again in 1984. The courthouse and all the county records burned on January 21, 1877; a new building was completed by 1878. In December 1902 the first telephone in the county was installed in the county judge's office in the courthouse. The (Submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.