San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Gustav Blersch House
This house is one of three standing antebellum structures in the King William Historic District. Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and contractor John Hermann Kampmann. Blersch sold the property to banker James T. Thornton in 1871. The Thorntons enlarged the house, adding a two-story rear wing and bay window. From 1883 to 1905, the home was owned by numerous families. In 1905 it was purchased by William Clarkson. Porches were enclosed and a sleeping porch added c.1920. In 1948 the home was sold to cousins, the Watson family, who continue to care for this historic structure.
Marker is property of The State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16997.)
Location. 29° 25.004′ N, 98° 29.564′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Washington Street south of Turner Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 213 Washington Street, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. The Oge House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sartor House (about 400 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (about 400 feet away); Alfred Giles House (about 700 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. ¼ mile away); Ernst Homestead (approx. ¼ mile away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Regarding Gustav Blersch House. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (2011)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . .
1. King William Historic District. The most famous part of the historic district is an area between Alamo Street and the San Antonio River. Between 1853 and 1859 streets were laid out, including King William Street, the district's major thoroughfare, which is said to have been named by Ernst Hermann Altgelt in honor of Wilhelm I, King of Prussia. The area was annexed by the city of San Antonio. (Submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Blersch House. A one-story raised cottage with classical Victorian (Submitted on June 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Last updated on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.