Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles Hodgeson Pix was a member of a Texas pioneer family that came to Galveston from England in 1838. He was one of the early English merchants in Galveston who were importers of English goods direct from London. He began business at #6 Strand in 1839 as Pix and Burney, ship brokers. At one time C.H. Pix owned the entire half block on the north side of Postoffice Street between 21st and 22nd Streets. He was listed in the 1850 census as a retired businessman, capitalist, and property owner. He was also one of the original congregation and a vestryman at Trinity Episcopal Church.
The three story brick Greek Revival structure is one of the oldest buildings in downtown. It is rectangular in shape with a flat roof of composition iron and has corbeled brick trim. The building has six 6/6 windows on the Postoffice side and 4 6/6 windows on the 22nd Street side with flat hood moulds. An example of architectural simplicity, it was built in 1858-1859 and partly rebuilt in 1875. The first floor was remodeled in 1909 and in 1954, and the front wall rebuilt with new brick in 1948.
During the Civil War the Signal Corp of the Confederate Army occupied the building in 1864 after the Battle of Galveston.
In 1866 the Merchants Club meetings were held on the third floor. The Galveston Tribune was printed here
From 1938 to 1987 the first floor was occupied by Michael Jewelry Co. The second floor was an apartment for the owners.
Location. 29° 18.299′ N, 94° 47.538′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Kempner Street (22nd Street) and Postoffice Street (Avenue E), on the right when traveling north on Kempner Street (22nd Street). Touch for map. Marker is located on the sidewalk, near the southwest corner of the subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2128 Postoffice Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scottish Rite Masonry (about 300 feet away); 1894 Grand Opera House (about 500 feet away); Texas Society, Sons of the American Revolution (about 500 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (was about 600 St. Mary's Cathedral (about 600 feet away); The Stewart Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Regarding Pix Building. National Register of Historic Places (1984)
Also see . . . Hurricane Ike (2008) Impact on Galveston. From a historical perspective, on September 8, 1900, the Great Galveston Hurricane came ashore on a path similar to Ike, bringing with it a storm surge that inundated most of Galveston Island. Fast forward 108 years to Ike: an early survey of Galveston Island, performed late Saturday, September 13 and Sunday, September 14, 2008, indicated that the entirety of the Island west of 11 Mile Road was devastated, and that few structures on Galveston's western one-third had survived. Electric power failed in Galveston around 7:45 p.m. CDT. Widespread flooding included downtown Galveston: such as 6-ft deep inside the Galveston County Courthouse, and the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston was flooded. (Submitted on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.