Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Frederick the Great
In 1902, Prince Henry, brother of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, visited the United States to cultivate a relationship between the two countries. Wilhelm gave a statue of his ancestor Frederick the Great, known for his military prowess, to the United States as a gift of friendship and gratitude. Frederick the Great, king of Prussia in the eighteenth century, is best known for transforming Prussia into a European power.
The statue was originally erected in 1904 at the Army War College in Washington, D.C. Two months later, one or two perpetrators attempted to destroy the statue by planting explosives by it. However, the endeavor failed, resulting only in a minor injury to an employee who discovered the device.
The statue was removed from public view during World War I. It was displayed again in 1927 and taken down after World War II, in 1946. A few years after the War College moved to Carlisle Barracks in 1951, plans were formed to bring “Freddy” to the post and place him, as stated in a memorandum, “in a relatively inconspicuous site.” In 1954, the statue was erected in its current position, overlooking the parade ground.
Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011
In Honor of PFC Doyle L. McGaha Sr., WWII Veteran, 81st Infantry Division, 1941-1945
Eagle Scout Project
Research assistance from Jessica Sheets and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Images from USAMHI, Personality Collection and Carlisle Barracks Collection
Erected by Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011.
Location. 40° 12.455′ N, 77° 10.705′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker can be reached from Guardhouse Lane. Touch for map. The marker is on the Parade Grounds of Carlisle Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters 3 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hessian Powder Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); Schools housed at Carlisle Barracks during the period 1776-1976 (within shouting distance of this marker); Quarters 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheelock Bandstand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coren Apartments (about 300 feet away); Pratt Hall (about 300 feet away); Army Medical Department Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 21, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.