Mineral Wells in Palo Pinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Camp Wolters
In 1940 Camp Wolters was selected as a major training base for the National Military Draft. During World War II, the camp became an important infantry replacement training center on 7,500 acres of leased land with a troop capacity that reached a peak of 24,973. The internationally famous "F" Troop of World War II was one of the mounted units that trained here. German prisoners of war also were housed at the camp.
After the war's end, the camp was deactivated by the army. The original Old Camp Wolters site was returned to the National Guard and used for local purposes until 1965.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12136.)
Location. 32° 49.024′ Touch for map. Located on the east side of Mineral Wells High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3801 Ram Blvd, Mineral Wells TX 76067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sam Savage (approx. 1.8 miles away); Jack Llewellyn Knight (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of the Home in 1855 of Oliver Loving (approx. 8.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Wolters. from the Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on June 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.