Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1876, the International-Great Northern Railroad developed a new townsite east of the existing Round Rock. A commercial district sprang up along Georgetown Avenue (Main Street) with construction of many limestone buildings. “New Town” quickly eclipsed the established settlement, whose postal name changed again to “Old Round Rock.” For months, the new site was the railroad terminus, bringing lumber and flour mills, cotton gins, blacksmith and wagon shops, banks, hotels, restaurants, stores and schools. Round Rock challenged the state capital for economic control of central Texas, boasting
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commmission. (Marker Number 15945.)
Location. 30° 30.534′ N, 97° 40.643′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on E. Main Ave., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Rock TX 78664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew J. Palm House (a few steps from this marker); Early Commercial Building (a few steps from this marker); Old Broom Factory Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Otto Reinke Building (about 400 feet away); Sam Bass' Death Site (about 600 feet away); Nelson-Crier House (about 700 feet away); A. J. and Carolina Anderson House (approx. ¼ mile away); Olson House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.