Durand in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Durand Railroad History / The Knights Templar Special
Durand Railroad History
Durand's first settlers began farming here in 1837. Its first railroad, the Detroit and Milwaukee, arrived in 1856, thirty-one years before the village of Durand was officially organized. The settlement became a railroad center for the Grand Trunk and the Ann Arbor railroads. Trains passing through Durand ran to Toledo, Grand Rapids, Clare, Chicago, Port Huron and Detroit. Around the turn of the century, as many as thirty-five passenger trains, one hundred freight trains and three thousand passengers used the depot each day. Its yard facilities once included the only full-circle roundhouse on the Grand Trunk Western. In 1911 fifty percent of Durand's population was employed by the Grand Trunk Western Railway Company.
The Knights Templar Special
In June 1923, the sixty-seventh annual conclave of the Grand Commandery of Michigan Knights Templar was held in Flint. Western Michigan Sir Knights traveling to the Masonic convention commissioned a Grand Western Trunk special train. The train left on June 5. At 9:30 A. M. it came upon a split track at Clark's Crossing in Durand. The engine and tender left the rails and turned over. The second passenger coach rammed the first; however, the rear cars remained upright. Four Knights Templar died in the accident:
Erected 1986 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S578.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 54.716′ N, 83° 59.174′ W. Marker is in Durand, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on West Clinton Street near Shiawassee Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Durand MI 48429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandula Clock Tower (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Durand Union Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor Parsons (approx. 7.9 miles away); Corunna Public Schools / Shiawassee Street School (approx. 8.1 miles away); First National Bank (approx. 8.2 miles away); Maple River (approx. Shiawassee County Courthouse (approx. 8.2 miles away); Hugh McCurdy / Hugh McCurdy Park (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Durand.
Categories. • Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.