Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
March 30, 1846
Organized July 13, 1846
with Livingston as county seat
James Knox Polk, 1795-1849
President of the United States
the annexation of Texas
Early settlements were
Drew's Landing, Mariana, Swartout
On 1,280 acres granted by the
state in 1854, the descendants
of the Alabama Indians still live
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 16074.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 42.606′ N, 94° 56.004′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is on West Mill Street west of North Washington Avenue (Business U.S. 59), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to the Polk County Judicial Center. It can be difficult to see from the road as it is partially obstructed by a flower bed. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Mill Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Andress Inn (was here, next to this marker but has been reported 1905 Courthouse Annex (within shouting distance of this marker); Polk County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Polk County, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Polk County Enterprise" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Indian Trails (approx. ¼ mile away); Locomotive No. 5 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Also see . . . Polk County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 25, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 346 times since then. Last updated on June 25, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.