Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Public Market and Town Hall
Authorized 1850. On land deeded forever for this purpose.
Butchers, other vendors moved in during 1851. Building complete with top story and bell tower, 1852. Town hall and market used for Presbyterian church services.
In high wind of 1867 lost its second floor. Restored 1868.
Remodeled 1912, 1948. Original foundations and walls still survive in the modern market.
Erected 1965 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4135.)
Location. 25° 54.124′ N, 97° 29.837′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East 12th Street and Market Square Street, on the right when traveling west on East 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted near the southwest corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1150 Market Square St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manautou Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan H. Fernandez y Hermano Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan H. Fernandez Store (within shouting distance of this marker); San Fernando Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whitmans's Store (about 300 feet away); Fernandez Hide Yard (about 300 feet away); Miguel Fernandez Hide Yard (about 300 feet away); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Also see . . .
1. Brownsville, Texas. Efforts were made to incorporate the town in the early 1850s, but a protracted series of legal battles over who had actually owned the land—Stillman or Cavazos's heirs—complicated matters. The Third Texas Legislature passed a measure on January 24, 1850, incorporating the town and relinquishing all state's rights and title to the area, but the Fourth Legislature repealed the law as of April 1, 1852, because of claims made by the Cavazos heirs. After a series of special sessions the following year, the legislature reincorporated the city on February 7, 1853. But the title issue was not completely settled until 1879, when the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Stillman group. (Submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Brownsville Historicial Association. Originally built in 1850, Market Square opened as an open air market in 1852. For the rest of the 19th century, many Brownsville residents bought their fresh foods from the many stalls found in the Square. Even after being damaged by a hurricane in 1867, Market Square continued to operate as a market on the first floor and city (Submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Market Square Research Center. In early 2009, Market Square was leased to the Brownsville Historical Association. Thanks to the support of the Stillman Trust, Brownsville Community Improvement Corporation, and the City of Brownsville, Market Square became the home of Brownsville Historical Association's collections and archives. (Submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Last updated on June 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on June 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.