Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ovid in Clinton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid

 
 
Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
1. Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker
Inscription.
Village of Ovid
In 1836, inhabitants of Ovid, Seneca Falls County, New York, began to settle this fertile farm area. Among them were Samuel Barker, who built his log cabin in "Section 6;" Jabez Denison, noted for his prowess in killing bears; and William Swarthout, who put his home by the Maple River, which passes through the town. Land given to the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee Railway determined the location of Ovid's depot. The incorporated Village of Ovid dates from 1869, when 227 voters were involved in its first election. Businesses, houses and factories rapidly grew in number. Lumber, general merchandise, cabinets, musical instruments, and carriages were among the wares carrying the Ovid stamp. Main Street became and continued to be a center of activity for village residents and others in the area. In 1980 Ovid claimed 1,712 residents.

First Congregational Church of Ovid
On February 13, 1871, twenty-two persons began Ovid's First Congregational Church. The next year this structure was erected. George Fox served as master carpenter. Its first minister was the Reverend William Mulder. Originally located at High and Park streets, the church was pulled here by oxen in 1899 and turned to face Main Street. It was enlarged for a growing congregation, which came to be "one of the most powerful
Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
2. Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker
social forces in the county." In 1943, Ovid's Congregational and Methodist societies merged, using both their buildings until 1972. In 1979, the church became a private residence. This Ovid landmark, whose octagonal belfry tower holds a melodious 1876 bell, is listed on the Historic American Buildings Survey and the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L114.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.424′ N, 84° 22.296′ W. Marker is in Ovid, Michigan, in Clinton County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is halfway between Williams Street and Pearl Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 222 North Main Street, Ovid MI 48866, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carriage House (here, next to this marker); George D. Sowers House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sleepy Hollow State Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); Paine-Gillam-Scott House (approx. 9 miles away);
Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
3. Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid Marker
Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Judge Elias Comstock (approx. 9.9 miles away); a different marker also named Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Comstock Cabin (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ovid.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Former First Congregational Church of Ovid image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
4. Former First Congregational Church of Ovid
Interior of former First Congregational Church of Ovid image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
5. Interior of former First Congregational Church of Ovid
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement