Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ovid in Clinton County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George D. Sowers House

 
 
George D. Sowers House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
1. George D. Sowers House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1869-70 for George D. and Carrie Sowers, this house is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. Sowers, the first of several prominent local businessmen to live here, owned a planing mill located across the street with his partner, George Fox. Sowers later became a partner in the Ovid Flour Mills. In 1882, Frank Scofield and his wife, Adelaide, purchased the house. Scofield co-owned the Ovid Carraige Works, one of the village's largest employers during the late nineteenth century. His business declined with the rising popularity of the automobile. Henry and Sophia Hudson purchased the house in 1907, one year after Henry founded Hudson & Son Farm Implements, another prosperous Ovid business.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1718.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 0.403′ N, 84° 22.222′ W. Marker is in Ovid, Michigan, in Clinton County. Marker is on East Williams Street east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 East Williams Street, Ovid MI 48866, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
George D. Sowers House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, June 23, 2018
2. George D. Sowers House and Marker
markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carriage House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village of Ovid / First Congregational Church of Ovid (about 400 feet away); Sleepy Hollow State Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); Paine-Gillam-Scott House (approx. 9.6 miles away); Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Judge Elias Comstock (approx. 9.9 miles away); a different marker also named Curwood Castle (approx. 9.9 miles away); Comstock Cabin (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ovid.
 
Additional comments.
1.
The George D. Sowers House is now the home of the Ovid Historical Society
    — Submitted June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement