Corunna in Shiawassee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Corunna Public Schools / Shiawassee Street School
Corunna Public Schools
The Corunna School District was organized in 1842. Later that year a one-story frame schoolhouse was constructed. A teacher, Miss Cook, was hired in 1843 and received the "unprecedented salary of $2.50 per week" and the "privilege of boarding 'round" in the community. In 1851 a two-story brick school was built to accommodate Corunna's growing population. A larger, three-story brick school was erected in 1866 just north of the schoolhouse. In the fall of 1882, both buildings burned. Another three-story brick school was constructed later that year to serve grades kindergarten through twelve. On April 14, 1908, that school burned. The present school was built that same year with funds from insurance policies and a city bond issue.
Shiawassee Street School
Edwyn A. Bowd of Lansing, an architect popular in the early twentieth century for his plans of public buildings, designed the Shiawassee Street School, which opened in January 1909. Rickman and Son, who built the Shiawassee County Courthouse in 1903-1904, constructed this school at a cost of $31,000. The Georgian Revival-style school is trimmed in limestone. The bell in the cupola was cast in 1882 and donated by the Corunna Presbyterian Church upon the school's completion. The building served as an elementary school between
Erected 1989 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1514.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 58.767′ N, 84° 7.086′ W. Marker is in Corunna, Michigan, in Shiawassee County. Marker is on South Shiawassee Street (State Highway 71), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is between State Street and West Oliver Street. Marker is in this post office area: Corunna MI 48817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shiawassee County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Governor Parsons (approx. ¼ mile away); Hugh McCurdy / Hugh McCurdy Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Steam Railroading Institute (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Site of the First School House in Owosso First Congregational Church and Society (approx. 3 miles away); Birthplace of Thomas Edmund Dewey (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corunna.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.