San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of San Benito
On January 22, 1908, less than one year after the platting of San Benito, the Rev. C.E.W. Smith, a pastor in Brownsville, organized the First Methodist Church. The Rev. Smith preached to the congregation once a month at a local one-room schoolhouse. The church would move meetings to a two-room schoolhouse and then to a Baptist church sanctuary before constructing a Methodist church building on this site in 1910. The following year, the Rev. W.N. Vernon became the church's first full-time pastor.
The early years of First Methodist Church were marked by increased membership, particularly under the pastorate of the Rev. J. Fisher (1915-1922). From its beginnings, the congregation has been involved in sponsoring international mission teams and has been an active participant and organizer of interdenominational associations and classes.
Through a variety of programs, including counseling and food and clothing projects, the church has been instrumental in aiding others. The church has also shown concern for servicemen, as women of the congregation created medical supplies and clothing for soldiers during World Wars I and II.
Members have expanded facilities at this site over the years, constructing a new sanctuary in 1931. Today, First United Methodist Church of San Benito continues as a vital spiritual
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14003.)
Location. 26° 8.049′ N, 97° 37.774′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of North Sam Houston Boulevard (State Highway 345) and West Hicks Street, on the right when traveling north on North Sam Houston Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is located at the west corner of the church grounds, near the sidewalk and intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North Sam Houston Boulevard, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic U.S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); San Benito Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Water District Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.7 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.6 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away); a different marker also named Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Also see . . . Methodist Church History in Texas. As the traditional dependence upon revivalism waned with the end of the 19th century, Texas Methodists emphasized Christian nurture in Sunday schools. During the period 1900 to 1930, enrollment in Methodist Sunday schools increased from 85,000 to 285,000. Summer camps became popular training centers. (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.