San Benito in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Benito Post Oﬃce
At the time the local community was granted its first post office in April 1907 it was known as Diaz. Because another town in Texas had previously been awarded the name Diaz by postal officials, the name of this post office was changed to San Benito later that year. Colonel Samuel A. Robertson served as first Postmaster and Emma (Purvis) Agar became the first of several women postal clerks to serve in San Benito. Municipal delivery began in 1925 along two routes.
The post office operated from several locations in San Benito until relocating in 1933 to an impressive Federal office building newly constructed here on park land donated by the city. The post office opened on April 16, 1933, the day after an estimated 3,000 people attended an open house to inspect the building. Also housed in the Federal building at the time of its opening were offices of the International Boundary Commission, the U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Immigration, and the U.S. Civil Service Commission.
The post office served as a social gathering place for many people in the community. San Benito Post Office currently serves San Benito and the surrounding towns of Los Indios, Blue Town, Arroyo City, Lozano, Las Yescas, Laurles, La Paloma, El Ranchito, and Rio Hondo.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4528.)
Location. 26° 8.068′ N, 97° 37.78′ W. Marker is in San Benito, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on North Sam Houston Boulevard (State Highway 345) north of West Hicks Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 N Sam Houston Blvd, San Benito TX 78586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic U.S. Post Office (a few steps from this marker); First Methodist Church of San Benito (within shouting distance of this marker); Water District Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Harlingen (approx. 5.7 miles away); Iraqi D-20 152mm Howitzer (approx. 6.6 miles away); Near Routes of Alonso de Leon Expeditions (approx. 10.8 miles away); Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away); a different marker also named Palo Alto Battlefield (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Benito.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. San Benito, Texas Post Oﬃce
Also see . . .
1. Tenure of the Postmaster's Office. Lucius O'Bryan, the third postmaster, was captain in the army. Due to bandit troubles, many thousands (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. San Benito, Texas. In 1904 Col. Sam Robertson went into partnership with James Landrum and Benjamin Hicks, to form what later became the San Benito Land and Water Company. In January 1907 the company subdivided town lots and began sales. The name San Benito was concocted by Rafael Moreno, an employee of Hicks. Moreno combined the given names of Robertson (Sam or "San") and Hicks (Benny), whom he called "Don Benito." A post office was established in 1907 under the name San Benito. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. 1st Name of the town now known as San Benito: "Bessie". Col. Sam Robertson decided to change the name of Bessie to Diaz. The owners of the Mercedes tract had named their town Diaz and had advertised it. Robertson decided to rename his town Diaz to capitalize on the advertising, provoking the threat of a lawsuit. Whether Robertson had begun negotiation at the time he decided to apply for a Post Office with the name of Diaz is not known. On April 2, 1907, the postal department approved the establishment (Submitted on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Last updated on July 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.