Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centerville in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Leon County Courthouse

 
 
Leon County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
1. Leon County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Built 1887 of slate brick, locally made. One of oldest Texas courthouses still in its original state. County created in 1846. County seat was moved from Leona to Centerville in 1850.

Two earlier courthouses have occupied this site.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966

 
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9629.)
 
Location. 31° 15.503′ N, 95° 58.691′ W. Marker is in Centerville, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of East St Marys Street (State Highway 7) and Commerce Street (State Highway 75), on the left when traveling east on East St Marys Street. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the courthouse, just to the right of the main entrance doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 East St Marys Street, Centerville TX 75833, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Boggy (approx. 4 miles away); Leon County (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County (approx. 7.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Leon County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
2. Leon County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement