Near Franklin in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County seats: "Old Franklin", 1838-1850; Wheelock, 1850-1855; Owensville, 1855-1869; Calvert, 1870-1879; Franklin, since 1879.
Sent 5 troop companies into Confederate service in Civil War. Established mill to make flour, cotton and wool cloth. Furnished cotton cards, medicines, flour, bacon and salt to soldiers families.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 16082.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 2.189′ N, 96° 28.019′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is on U.S. 79 1.3 miles east of Farm to Market Road 46, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in a roadside park approximately 1 mile east of Franklin. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TX 77856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the Franklin Carnegie Library (approx. 1.2 miles away); Robertson County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); New Baden (approx. 2.4 miles away); Camp Hearne World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 13.8 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally placed in 1936 as part of the Texas Centennial Highway Marker series. It was restored in 1965 with revised text.
Also see . . . Robertson County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.