Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County
The center of the square, which had been reserved for a more substantial building, was used in 1858 for the third courthouse. The first brick structure in the county, it was condemned in 1874. County offices were moved to a building at 2610 Lee Street, purchased from the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
The fifth courthouse, an ornate red brick building with white stone trim, was constructed here in 1883. Thirteen months later it was destroyed by a fire which heavily damaged the town's commercial district. A new courthouse, which closely resembled the 1883 structure, was built in 1885. In 1928 it was torn down to make room for construction of the present courthouse, the seventh for Hunt County. A formal dedication was held on April 11, 1929, the 83rd anniversary of the county's
Erected 1982. (Marker Number 7785.)
Location. 33° 8.38′ N, 96° 6.42′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street (State Highway 302 Spur) and Stonewall Street (State Highway 34), on the right when traveling east on Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2507 Lee Street, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Hunt County (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Christian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Greenville Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hunt County's First Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.