Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Greenville

 
 
Greenville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
1. Greenville Marker
Inscription. In 1846, the Texas legislature created Hunt County and specified that Greenville would be the name of the county seat, honoring Texas War for Independence veteran Thomas J. Green. Voters ultimately selected this location, on land donated by Tennessee surveyor McQuinney Howell Wright, for the new community of Greenville. The townsite was platted in May 1846 and the first lots were sold at auction the following January, although Wright did not file the deed officially conveying his land until March 22, 1850.

Albert G. Hamilton served as first mayor after the town incorporated in 1852. Unlike most north central Texas counties, Hunt County voted in favor of secession during the national crisis in the 1860s. Economic hardship, occasions of violence, and occupation by federal troops characterized the Civil War and Reconstruction period in Greenville.

The arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad in October 1880 was a watershed in Greenville's history. The railroad provided cotton farmers with easier shipping access, and cotton production and processing became major economic activities. New businesses and service industries, including banks, hotels, street cars, and the state's first municipally owned electric utility, developed to serve the growing community.

Greenville was home to Majors Army Air
Greenville Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 17, 2018
2. Greenville Marker Area
Field and three colleges in the 20th century. Its location at the crossroads of major state and national highways helped Greenville develop over the years to become an industrial and trade center in northeast Texas.
 
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12547.)
 
Location. 33° 8.338′ N, 96° 6.587′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2821 Washington St, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Christian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenville Building and Loan Association (about 400 feet away); The Old Greenville Post Office (about 500 feet away); Hunt County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hunt County's First Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement