Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Central Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ)
The name of the congregation was changed to Central Christian Church when the present sanctuary was built in 1898-99. The oldest church structure remaining in Greenville, it was built at a cost of $23,000. An outstanding, robust example of the Gothic revival style of architecture, it features intact towers, art glass windows, and exceptional grill-like brickwork.
Throughout its history, this congregation has been an integral part of the community. Central Christian Church members have been instrumental in establishing new churches in town and have maintained both foreign missionary and local outreach programs.
Recognizing the need to preserve this church as a local landmark, the congregation began a major restoration project in 1986. It now stands as a fine example of local historic preservation.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7776.)
Location. 33° 8.337′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2611 Wesley St, Greenville TX 75401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hunt County (about 600 feet away); Greenville Building and Loan Association (about 600 feet away); 1929 Hunt County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County (about 600 feet away); The Old Greenville Post Office (about 700 feet away); Hunt County's First Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.