Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Oblates of Mary Immaculate
This Catholic order was founded in 1816 in France by Bishop Eugene De Mazonod. They came to Brownsville at the request of local citizens and held their first mass on December 8, 1849 on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception hence the name of the future church. The Oblates were entrusted with a territory that stretched from Brownsville to San Ignacio, a distance of some two hundred miles. This harsh country, that could only be traversed by horse, led to the Oblates being known as the “Calvary of Christ.” Despite the loss of eight members to yellow fever, the burning of Brownsville by Confederates, and devastating hurricanes, the Oblatesí devotion to their mission could not be broken. The hardships they endured caused the orderís founder to exclaim “those cruel missions of Texas!” The Oblates have gone far beyond their responsibilities as priests. They have been builders of churches, founders of schools, and have always remained pillars of community spirit and strength. Their never ending concern for the people they serve is expressed in their motto “To preach the gospel to the poor, he hath sent me.” Bishop Mazonod was canonized in 1995.
Erected by City of Brownsville.
Location. 25° 54.142′ Touch for map. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the Immaculate Conception Cathedral Office building, just to the right of the front entrance, facing East Jefferson Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1218 East Jefferson Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. La Catedral del la Inmaculada Concepcion (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Pierre Yves Keralum (within shouting distance of this marker); Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); 1882 Cameron County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (about 300 feet away); Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. Marker is in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Oblates of Mary Immaculate
Also see . . .
1. The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, founded in France in 1816 by Blessed Eugene de Mazenod, quickly became a mission-sending society of priests and brothers. The Texas mission began in 1849 with five Oblates; by 1883, forty-one had served. They established schools in Galveston (1855) and Brownsville (1865), but their principal ministry was circuit-riding, by which they served briefly in East Texas (1853–55) and from 1849 onwards in South Texas. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. OMI Founder: St. Eugene de Mazenod. Eugene rejected prestigious church positions and instead worked with the sick, poor, young people and prisoners. He soon became overwhelemed by all his work and decided to get others who shared his vision. He formed on January 25,1816 in Aix-en-Provence, France as the Missionaries of Provence. They were recognized on February 17, 1826 by Pope Leo XII. The name changed to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Soon, the missionaries were sent to different parts of the world, serving those who were not being reached by the Church. (Submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Last updated on July 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.