Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram

 
 
Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram Marker
Inscription. Deed records indicate that a newspaper was being published in Hopkins County as early as 1854. It was known as the "Texas Star" and was located in Tarrant, which then served as county seat. In 1855, the printing presses were purchased by William Wortham, who moved the equipment to Bright Star (later Sulphur Springs) and founded a paper he called the "Independent Frontier." In 1864, Wortham renamed it the "Sulphur Springs Gazette" and retained ownership until 1898.

The "Echo" was founded by Ezra Tate in 1878 as a competitor to the "Gazette." During its 39-year ownership by the Tate family, the "Echo" acquired two other local publications, the "Evening News" and the "Morning Telegram." The Tate family merged these newspapers into the "Daily News-Telegram," while also maintaining the weekly "Echo."

During 1917, the Bagwell Company gained ownership of the "Echo." The "News-Telegram," "Daily Gazette," and "Weekly Gazette" were later purchased and formed into one daily publication known as the "Daily News-Telegram." The "Echo" was maintained as a weekly. A central printing company, Echo Publishing Co., purchased the publications in 1951.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7316.)
 
Location. 33° 
The Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. The Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram
8.434′ N, 95° 36.061′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is on Church Street south of Houston Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Church Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkins County Courthouse (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); City National Bank (about 800 feet away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. mile away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. mile away); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 4.1 miles away); Historic Roadside Park (approx. 7.2 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
 
Also see . . .  The Texas State Historical Association article on the Echo Daily News Telegram. (Submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicIndustry & Commerce
 
Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
3. Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement